- Make sure the power supply is on and working.
- If light does not come on, check that the reset button is pushed in; follow steps from previous section.
- If the indicator light is illuminated, but water temperature does not get hot at the sink, test for a plumbing crossover as follows; shut off cold water supply to water heater and open hot water tap. There should be no water flowing. Any continuous flow indicates a cross over which will affect the temperature and will need to be corrected.
- If there is no crossover, then replace the heating element.
Removing the Heating Element:
- Unplug and drain the water heater.
- Remove heating element noting original positions of all connections.
- Install new element with gasket making sure the new element and gasket are positioned correctly.
- Tighten retaining nuts and make the wire connections to their original locations.
DRAINING AND REMOVING THE WATER HEATER:
- Unplug the water heater.
- Open a hot water faucet to let hot water run out. Allow water to flow until water is no longer hot.
- Turn off the cold water supply to the water heater.
- Close the hot water faucet.
- Disconnect the water heater from both the hot and cold water connections.
- If possible siphon out remaining water.
- Carefully detach the water heater from the wall.
- Tilt the water heater to drain remaining water out of the heater.