BEFORE YOU CALL FOR SERVICE
Save time and money! Review the troubleshooting tips below first and you may not need to call for service.
1. Water does not get hot:
- Make sure the power supply is on and working.
- If the light does not come on, check to see if the reset button has been toggled into the reset position. The reset button can be found on the back of your mini tank towards the bottom.
- If the power button is illuminated, but water temperature does not get hot at the sink, test for a plumbing crossover by shutting off the cold water supply to the water heater and opening the hot water tap (there should be no water flowing). Any continuous flow indicates a cross over which will effect the temperature and will need to be corrected.
- If you are unable to determine a plumbing crossover by this method, replacing the heating element may be needed.
2. Power Button not on:
- If the power indicator button light does not come on but the water gets hot, check for faulty power indicator button bulb.
- Check reset button.
3. Brown Water:
Brown or rusty water indicates a spent anode rod. Replace anode rod.
4. Odor in Water:
Smelly water could be due to an unusual reaction between local water and the heater's anode rod. Check anode rod.
5. Water is too hot:
Turn the temperature knob to a lower temperature setting, or use the app to set the temperature to a lower setting. If the water temperature does not lower within 60 minutes, then the thermostat may need to be replaced.
6. Water is not hot enough:
See "Adjusting your Thermostat". on page 16 of the manual.
7. Water is leaking:
- Unplug water heater from 110/120v outlet.
- Check and tighten any lose water fittings and/or T&P fitting on the top of the tank as needed.
- Remove cover and inspect heating element gasket to see if it is loose or for any visible damage.
Error Codes on the Front Panel and the App
Your Eccotemp SMARTHOME Mini Tank can report 2 different errors. If you are using the app, it will explain how you can interact with the water heater itself to diagnose and fix some of the problems. You can also look at the power button and it will blink in a sequence based on the error it is reporting.
Error Code 1: Thermostat Malfunction
When the ESH reports an E1 Error, the power button will blink blue once (1 time) every three (3) seconds until the issue is fixed.
If you have an E1 Error, please contact customer service.
Error Code 2: Rapid Temperature Increase
When the Mini reports an E2 Error, the power button will blink blue twice (2 times) and then pause for three (3) seconds before repeating until the issue is fixed.
A rapid temperature increase is typically caused by the Mini not being full with water. Disconnect the Mini from power, fill the Mini with water, and reconnect the Mini to power to resolve the issue. If the E2 error code does not resolve, please reach out to customer service for further assistance.
If the Mini does not seem to have power even though it is plugged in, check the reset button on the back of the Mini to make sure it is not toggled into the reset position. If the reset button is not toggled to the reset position, please contact customer service for further assistance.
When your Eccotemp SMARTHOME Mini Tank is connecting to WiFi, you will see the power button on the front of the Mini Tank blinking red for up to 60 seconds while it connects. If it is unable to connect during that time, it will try again periodically for up to 15 minutes.
In the event that your water heater does not connect to your WiFi, it will automatically set the temperature to the default temperature of 118 degrees Fahrenheit. Your app will be able to tell you if your heater has connected successfully.